In accordance with the Constitution of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Law on Education of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the relevant decrees, decisions and orders, the Regulation on the Ministry of Education of Azerbaijan Republic and the requirements of other regulatory documents, areas of activity for statistics and forecasting are as follows:
- Gathering, processing and maintaining necessary statistical, analytical, sociological and other information and working out and implementing education management information systems on the basis of primary documents received from education institutions in order to improve the efficiency of education management;
- To provide the necessary information for other structural divisions of the Ministry;
- To establish an automated control system in order to give a reasonable and effective management decisions based on the analysis of statistical data;
- To facilitate the implementation of forecasting on the basis of statistical analysis;
- To participate in the process of working out the normative legal documents related to the area of activity;
The cooperative relationships are established between national and international organizations operating in the field of statistics and forecasting in order to fulfill tasks on the above-mentioned areas of activity.
The regulation of activities in the field of statistics and forecasting is provided by implementing the following functions:
- To create a database in accordance with different areas of activities of the Ministry and education institutions, and to constantly improve it;
- To analyze statistical data and to submit reports on the required various forms;
- To prepare proposals on the area of activity.
The main directions of the assessment policy conducted in the field of education consist of ensuring the preparation and implementation of school-based, national and international evaluation system in the general education system of the country.
Since the academic year 2008-2009, the new educational programs (curricula) and the new school-based assessment system have been applied in the first classes of secondary schools of the country. In this regard, the relevant normative legal documents have been prepared and submitted to teachers. As well as, the "Assessment Concept for the general education system of Azerbaijan Republic" was approved by the Decision no. 9 of the Cabinet of Ministers of Azerbaijan Republic dated 13 January 2013. The "Temporary Instruction on conducting the school-based assessment in secondary schools" has been prepared in order to regulate the implementation of school-based assessment in classes, where new subject curricula are applied, it has been delivered to local education authorities for their use and posted on the website of the Ministry of Education.
In addition to school-based assessment, national and international assessments are also carried out in order to assess the performance of pupils.
So, the schoolchildren of the Republic of Azerbaijan have participated in three international assessment programs. Azerbaijan has taken part in PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment) Program since 2006 and this program is carried out with the aim of assessment of reading, math and natural science skills, as well as problem solving skills of students from different countries. Azerbaijan has also joined the TIMSS and PIRLS international assessment programs and these programs assess the students not according to their age, but according to the curriculum. Due to the purpose and form of these programs are close to the national assessment, the results of these assessment programs may be linked to the results of the national assessment in the future.
The national assessment research is carried out in secondary schools of the Republic of Azerbaijan within the framework of Education Sector Development Project in accordance with the "Reform Programme in the field of education of Azerbaijan Republic". The national assessment is the systematic research conducted with the aim of gathering information about the current situation of education and determining the prospects and the future activity by studying the factors that affect students' learning outcomes.