According to the relevant provisions of the Education Law of the Republic of Azerbaijan, development concept of “Azerbaijan – 2020: The Vision of The Future”, National Education Development Strategy of Azerbaijan Republic, as well as under "State Program (for 2006-2015 years) on alternative care and giving of children (Deinstitutionalization) from state child establishments to the families in Azerbaijan Republic" and Decision of Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan no 5 from January 13, 2010, main activity directions of the Department on Deinstitutionalization and Child Protection are as following:
- Taking preventive measures in order to impede placing of children to state care establishments and gradual reduction of the number of children in such establishments on the base of poverty reduction and socio-economic development in country;
- Reducing the number of state care establishments and boarding schools, forming family-based social service centers from state care establishments for children, developing alternative care and social service systems (community and family-based services, guardianship, patronage, giving children to foster families, etc);
- Extending opportunities for giving children to (biological and alternative) families;
- Integration of some part of disabled children given to families to secondary schools and taking measures to organize their joint (inclusive) education with other children.
In order to fulfill obligations taken for above mentioned activity directions, the department cooperates with agencies, non-governmental and international organizations.
Main duties of the Department on Deinstitutionalization and Child Protection in the task area:
- To ensure effective cooperation and coordination for solutions for Deinstitutionalization issues among governmental, non-governmental and international organizations in connection with implementation of measures specified in the State Program;
- To regulate timely identification, adoption, guardianship (custody) of the orphans deprived of parental care and attention who live in state care establishments of the Ministry of Education in cooperation with commissions on minors and the protection of the rights of the children operating under regional and city executive authorities;
- To organize activities of state care establishments and boarding schools, and other equivalent institutions in accordance with State Program requirements, and coordinate activities of day-care, rehabilitation and development centers, state care establishments and other institutions supervised by department;
- To provide timely identification of underprivileged children deprived of parental care and attention, living in hardship (0-18 years old) and distribution of them to day-care, rehabilitation and development centers, and other alternative care establishments in accordance with their needs;
- To execute organizational, educational, methodical management of state care establishments and alternative care establishments under the Ministry of Education;
- To provide targeted measures in order to expand opportunities to use information and communication technologies in the field of child protection.
Activities on child protection are regulated through execution of the following functions:
- Implementation of Ministry commitments on child protection and inclusive education strategy.